Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 12:18
The Flame for the Olympic Games “Rio 2016” will be lit on Thursday, April 21, at 12:00 in Ancient Olympia, in the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Mr. Prokopis Pavlopoulos.
The sacred Light of Olympism will be “born” in the hands of the High Priestess, Katerina Lehou who will then pass the Flame to the first torchbearer, the World Champion in gymnastics, Lefteris Petrounias.
The second torchbearer will be the former volleyball player, Giovane Gávio who will represent Brazil.
The choreography of the ceremony which is organised by the Hellenic Olympic Committee, is inspired by the choreographer Artemis Ignatius, the music is composed by Yiannis Psimadas while the performers are 29 Priestesses, 13 male dancers and four Maidens.
The rehearsal took place today under excellent weather conditions, sunshine and was absolutely successful.
The dress rehearsal will be held tomorrow, on Wednesday, April 20, at 12.00 and will be open to the public.
Find below the programme of the lighting ceremony of the Olympic Flame:
Thursday, April 21, 2016
12:00 - Opening of the Ceremony
- Olympic Circles: a synthesis
12:07 - Olympic Anthem – Hoisting of the Olympic Flag
- National Anthem of Brazil – Hoisting of the Brazilian Flag
12:11 - National Anthem of Greece – Hoisting of the Greek Flag
- “The Light of Olympia”, Takis Doxas’ poem recited by Yiannis Stankoglou
- Address by the Mayor of Ancient Olympia, Mr. Efthymios Kotzas
- Address by the President of the “RIO 2016” Organising Committee, Mr Carlos Nuzman
- Address by the President of the International Olympic Committee, Mr Thomas Bach
12:23 - Address by the President of the Hellenic Olympic Committee, Mr Spyros Capralos
12:26 - Entry of the designated officials in the Temple of Hera
12:32 - Ritual of the Lighting Ceremony at the Temple of Hera
- Entry of the High Priestess and the Priestesses into the Ancient Stadium
with the Olympic Flame
- Dance performance by the Priestesses
12:50 - Handing over of the Olympic Flame by the High Priestess to the first Torchbearer
- Departure of the first Torchbearer for the Pierre de Coubertin Monument
- Opening of the Olympic Torch Relay